My Mistake…

Kickstand issue resolved.

I should have listed a 4th option–mount the kickstand correctly. For some reason [its beyond me], I rotated the stand 180-degrees from the orientation it should have had. That resulted in the kickstand extending too far to the right. Mount it correctly and no chain rub. Rule out the first 3 options.

To the best on my knowledge, I’d probably have the same fender issue, discussed below. I prefer my mounting to the top tube to accommodate the dynamo without having to trim the fender.

All’s well that ends well.

More Setup

Actions completed over the last 24-hours:

  • Installed Eggbeater Pedals.
  • Installed the mounting brackets for the front running/emergency lights and the lights. [I have a pair basta Ellipsoid Halogen Lights.]
  • Positioned the flag tube to the right side of the seat to allow for back packs.
  • Wired dynamo lighting system and tested it. It works; although, for some reason the lights do not remain lit when the dynamo stops spinning [they are suppose to remain lit for up to 2 minutes]. I called Yellow Jersey, my online retailer, to determine what distance must be ridden to charge the capacitor. My sales rep, Andrew, said blocks. He will test and let me know. I’m waiting for his call.

Actions to complete next:

  • Ride at least 30 miles per day this week to see what happens with these “bent muscles.”
  • Have the deraillieurs reindexed. I have just a bit of front and rear shifting problems.
  • Wire the Garmin speed sensor [I had to slip this task.]
  • Resolve the kickstand location issue. I selected the Pletscher Kickstand because of its stability and its support should I need do tire or gear work on the road.

As I see it, I have 3 kickstand options:

  1. I can live with the chain contact with the kickstand.
  2. Have a mounting plate fabricated and welded to the TerraCycle Easy Reacher Cross-Member and mount the kickstand to it.
  3. Use a standard kickstand that supports the bike from the left rear side.

OBSERVATION: My quads were called on a lot more than when riding my DF. I noted this as I did some check-riding in my neighborhood. I was to complete 30 miles on the XP today, but because of thunderstorms and other work requirements, I did not fit it in.

Setup Update

Actions completed over the last 24-hours:

  • Installed fenders [I had to compensate for the presence of disc brake on both wheels. The rear fender did not reach the kickstand as I thought it would. I modified the attachment point to use the top tube, attaching the fender with silicon. Attaching the fender as I did, I did not have to trim it for the dynamo. Rather, the dynamo makes contact with the tire just beneath the fender. ]
  • Established kickstand’s final location. I could not attach the Angletech rear fenders to the kickstand as expected. Further, any kickstand position I used results in the chain rubbing against it in the lowest gear. I intend to have a mounting plate for the kickstand welded to the TerraCycle Easy Reacher cross-member and mount it there.
  • Positioned Garmin speed sensor [required detaching it from the cadence base, as I did with my VK2 and mounting it on the fork].
  • Fashioned a flag mounting tube to attach to the seat-back.
  • Positioned and secured the dynamo stand-light to the rear rack.
  • Received the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters SL from Spin Cyclz.
  • Picked up mounting brackets for my running lights [powered by the dynamo]
  • Picked up chain cleaning/lube kit

As an aside, today I rode 54 miles (86.9 kms) on my Trek Project One DF.

Actions to complete next:

  • Install Eggbeater Pedals
  • Complete flag tube
  • Wire dynamo lighting system and test
  • Wire the Garmin speed sensor

Next week:

  • Get a mounting plate welded for the kickstand
  • Mount NiteRider Flight Lighting System, including NiteRider Taillight. I’ll use the Universal Mounting Bracket on the head tube to mount the headlight.

OBSERVATION: I can barely fit the LWB recumbent in the cargo area on my 1998 Ford Windstar. There does not appear to be an easy way to transport this bike.

Setup Continues…

Actions completed over the last 24-hours:

  • Removed V-brake attachment hardware
  • Continued check-ride
  • Repositioned Easy Reacher Rack to preclude chain slap
  • Installed LightSpin Dynamo [install lights and wire the system]
  • Positioned and secured the Garmin cadence sensor and its magnet

Actions to complete next:

  • Install fenders [trim for dynamo]
  • Establish kickstand’s final location/trim as needed [the Angletech rear fender attaches to the kickstand]
  • Position Garmin speed sensor [required detaching it from cadence base, as I did with my VK2]