First, the fairing really reduces the “wind chill factor.” When I sat up to peer over the faring, my face was really chilled, reclined–it was comfortable.
Although I seem [street lights are on] to be able to see the road OK, the reflection off the fairing is more that I’d like. I will now look to see how I might mount my lights in front of the fairing. I like the bike’s lines as they are; but, I prefer no fairing reflections.
For Karl: As best I can determine, the reflectors work adequately behind the fairing. I drive my vehicle toward the bike. The reflectors seemed to glow. The car lights also light up the bike. I then place a reflector in front of the fairing. The reflection seemed the same. Finally, I took flash photos of all the reflectors. They seemed to reflect equally.
I will continue to ride and evaluate as I prepare for a possible tour to Richmond, Virginia and return to Fayetteville–435 miles round trip.
I‘ve changed my blog permanent picture [at the top of this page] to one with the Zzipper Xtreme Bodyskin in place [and now, with the light modifications].
Called Karl to say THANKS on the delivery, ask a few questions, and give feedback on my first impressions.
Karl rushed to ensure he shipped on time so that I received the fairing on Friday–It worked. Again, thank you Karl.
I asked if it is OK to look through the fairing rather than over it. He understands why I’m where I am. He says it is OK; but, we can trim the top of the fairing if wanted. I’ll wait to see how the fairing works in the rain. I’d love to not have rain [or as much of it] on my glasses. Told him of the mods I made. Told him sound is not an issue. We discussed what I can expect relative to wind and rain as my speed increases. As I expected, the faster I ride, the more the fairing will deflect the wind and precipitation.
Karl spent 23 minutes with me on this call. Total time to date on telephone calls (3)–about 2 hours–Excellent Customer Support.
1) NOISE IS NOT AN ISSUE WITH THIS FAIRING! I have read about concern with noise from fairings on various setup and methods to resolve. I only know what I experienced with my setup on my RANS Stratus with The Zzipper Xtreme Bodyskin. I have no objectionable noises from the road or bike with the faining in place. To my knowledge the fairing setup with supplied mounts work in giving a quite riding experience with no other action required. I am happy with the result.
2) I sense a greater wind deflection a faster speed than slower speeds [where I seem to get some wind wrap-around]. I have not noted any unusual handling characteristics at slow or fast speeds.
3) I am looking through the fairing as I ride. There is no notable distortion. I’d prefer to see over the fairing. I can adjust the seat back up or have the fairing shortened at the top. I’ll ride in the rain before I consider any adjustments.
4) My test rides were under 5 miles, with temperatures in the 40’s. I felt comfortable with my Shower Pass jacket and windproof pants on. At this point, I think I’ll ride with my normal cold weather gear. I can always take off items and place them in the Angletech Aerotrunk.
5) The Stratus really looks cool with the fairing.