Two days ago, I built the box and primed it inside and out with flat black paint. Yesterday, I set the box in the coop [related article]. Today, I applied the final exterior paint [green or white]. Actually, I did both so that I’d have no doubt—green first.
But, before that, I placed a new ceiling/floor beneath the South Tower roost to catch poop so that poop from roosting does not drop to the sand tray in front of the nesting box. The eggs would not be contaminated. Plus, the chicken applies a bloom on the shell that protects it from bacteria and my roll-down nest keeps the egg from getting stepped on.
In essence, this gives them a walk-around area that can be poop free—just get then to not poop there as they walk about in their house.
I also painted the new ceiling [viewable on the Chicken WebCam]. The floor side has sand for now. The rain came and I did not get a chance to get a Fiberglass Reinforced Panel [FRP], which is supposed to be better than sand—so says Opa. I hope to replace the sand in the two sleep boxes with FRP and use it at the nesting box threshold. I moved the roost to ensure all their poop is caught in this box and placed the 2x2s [former roosts] beside each other for twice the roost width. I’ll now watch to see if the number of sleepers changes.