Photography ~ It’s FREEZING–Cross Creek Dam, Fayetteville, North Carolina, 02/15

Some of our residents may not know the remnants of a dam create the “waterfall” alone Cross Creek at Green Street in Fayetteville, North Carolina. This postcard sent in 1909 may be a picture of the dam and Newberry Grist-Mill.
resolverSome History: [more history]

Cross Creek and Blount’s Creek wind their way through the city today as they did over two centuries ago. As early as 1747 a Scot named Neal McNeal purchased land near Cross Creek. Between five and six hundred people settled on this land in 1749 (Oates, p. 173). Early mills were established on these creeks and streams. In 1754 John Newberry purchased land where the road to the western back country met with the Albemarle/ Wilmington, North/South road near Cross Creek. Here Newberry built a grist-mill in 1755 which spurred the development of the town of Cross Creek in 1760 and later the city of Fayetteville (parker, p.1 0).

The pictures in the gallery above shows a small amount of ice. I Hope to get back on our coldest morning this week to capture the ice there them. Please stay tuned…

[More pictures]

History ~ Prince Charles Hotel, Fayetteville, North Carolina to be Renovated, 02/02

This is the right action for this historical structure–The Prince Charles Hotel. It is a part of Fayetteville Downtown Historic District and should [must] be preserved. From the National Register of Historic Places:

Prince Charles Hotel (NR-1983). The handsome, seven-story red brick hotel is ten double bay~ wide and ten bays deep and exhibits the Colonial Revival style. The hotel features an elaborate entrance bay with glazed doors protected by a marquee, surmounted by a fine Palladian window and flanking Ionic and Corinthian pilasters, crowned by paired windows enframed by a scrolled pediment with side brackets and urns. The first two stories are faced with a non-structural limestone face punctuated by semicircular window and door openings. The remaining stories are brick faced with paired 611 sash windows and have rows of headers demarcating the stories. The seventh floor fenestration is set apart from the rest by projecting moldings and different window sashes with iron balconies. A sixty-room addition was added onto the hotel in 1942, bringing the total number of rooms to 185. The Prince Charles Hotel was financed and erected by the Community Hotel Company of Fayetteville, North Carolina, Inc., a local stock company. It flourished in the 1920s when Florida-bound tourists on the adjacent Atlantic Coast Line Railroad line stayed here. The hotel operates now as the Radisson Hotel. (NR Nomination)

Picture Gallery